Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Review: Kask Mojito



Starting with this one I'm doing short reviews of certain bits of cycling gear that I particularly like, this in the hope that it can be instructive for those looking to not have to go through 100 pieces of kit before they find one that actually works.

Of course it's always very subjective, and I can't pretend to have tried all competitive options, but I'm assessing the stuff based on how well it does what it's supposed to, and doing fairly long-term tests on stuff I actually use daily, so I can definitely address that element of wear-and-tear that is impossible to judge on a new item, and that isn't quite so subjective.

Anyway, to start this off I'm talking about my favourite helmet to date.

Kask are relative newcomers on the helmet market, but have been the recipients of a fair old boost in recent years thanks to their place on the heads of the riders from Team Sky. Not too shabby a recommendation really.

I've always been looking for helmets that don't give you that "mushroom-head" look - especially common to those of us with big heads who are forced to use the L-sized options. So the low-profile looks of the Kask helmets on the heads of the pros was definitely an initial draw.

This helmet first came to me by chance when on the search for a spare. It was light, the right colour, sat snugly on my head, and wasn't anywhere near the most expensive option.

That was about 3 years back. Since then it's rarely been off my head while cycling, and it's lasted very well. One of the main reasons is the great design of the straps, which are a breathable and fast-wicking material at the sides, but under your chin the strap is made of a leather-like material. This is a great and comfortable combination, and even on the sweatiest rides the straps don't stay wet, which is very good news in Malaysia I can tell you!

The internal padding has also lasted well, but then it's just a few simple, and easily replaceable pads, should they ever deteriorate to that point. Haven't had to deal with that so far. The system of the rear section that grips the back of your head has a very effective ratchet dial to tighten onto your head, and so far has held up structurally very well.

It's not the most aerodynamic design of course, and there are plenty of those out there now, but since maximum airflow is more my concern, I'm not too concerned with aero - you usually compromise one for the other by design.

Basically, this helmet has become an invisible part of my cycling experience, because it works so well that I never need to give it any thought. It's never soggy when I put it back on, the straps don't ever need re-adjusting, nothing rubs against any part of my head or neck.

The strongest recommendation for this helmet is that I've just bought another one. Not that there was anything wrong with the first - I just fancied having another colour option.


No comments:

Post a Comment